The Australian Spitfire Association celebrated 50 years of service to its members and the community in 2015.
During the Second World War Australian service men and women played a vital role in every theatre of the conflict, leading to the successful Allied outcome in 1945 and celebrated in 2015 with the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and the 70th anniversary of victory in Europe and the Pacific. These Australians who played such an important role in securing peace in 1945 are among a long line of distinguished Defence Force personnel; as strong today as it was 75 years ago.
Australia produced at least 85 air “Aces” during the conflict and many of these were Spitfire pilots, serving in all theatres during World War II.
Our Association, founded by many of these Spitfire pilots, remains strong to this day. The spirit of camaraderie, service and enjoyment of life is a hallmark of our Association, bound together by a love of this iconic aeroplane.
Membership is only $25 per annum, payable on 1st July each year.
You can pay at our online shop.
We also accept donations above this amount, either for the Association, or the Spitfire Memorial Defence Fellowship (SMDF). The SMDF donations are tax deductable for Australian domiciled members.
What are the advantages of membership?
Regular member updates and news items
- Members are kept informed of events as they happen via our website including news about airworthy Spitfires and those being re-built (plus some other WWII aircraft).
- Notice of events of interest including Association organised events (such as the Temora Warbirds Downunder airshow) as well as other events of interest.
- Regular communication from the President and other committee members.
Gatherings and Events
- Special trips and occasions such as visits to aerodromes of interest, historic aircraft viewings, guest speakers, various Parades or events that may be of interest to members, and commemorative occasions such as the Battle of Britain Day and Commemorations in Darwin.
- Overseas events such as Duxford Flying Legends, Warbirds over Wanaka and others of note.
ANZAC Day Luncheon
- Each year a very enjoyable ANZAC Day luncheon is convened with a guest speaker of interest. This follows the ANZAC Day March by eligible members.
- A range of high quality clothing, caps, badges, ties and other memorabilia are available from the online shop. Some, like the Association ties, are only available to members.
Spitfire Memorial Defence Fellowship (SMDF)
- Recognising the need to be ever vigilant, the Spitfire Memorial Defence Fellowship was conceived by pilots of 457 Squadron Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), including the late AVM Lyndon Compton AO OBE RAAF, the late Flt Lt Edward (Ted) Sly DFC, the late Flt Lt Peter Watson DFC and Life vice-President Flt Lt Lysle Roberts. Their vision for the Fellowship was as an ongoing living memorial recognised as grants to individuals for research into topics of value to the Australian Defence effort. Several very special events are held each year to thank members who contribute to the SMDF and our alumni.