Finucane, Brendon “Paddy” Eamon Fitzpatrick DSO, DFC and Two Bars

Wing Commander Brendan Eamon Fitzpatrick “Paddy” Finucane was a Spitfire Ace in the RAF.

 The following article was written and by Glenn T. Heyler and can be found in www.acesofww2

The story of Wing Commander Brendan “Paddy” Finucane (pronounced fi-new-kin), is an amazing story of an Irishman who became one of the most decorated Spitfire Ace’s during the Battle of Britain, with the highest number of “kills” (32), Finucane was the  youngest Wing Commander in the RAF, all before his 22nd birthday. Paddy was both the leader of his Squadron, and an inspirational leader to his pilots and ground crew. With his shamrock crested Spitfire emblazoned with his initials, Paddy achieved one of the highest kill rates in RAF history. Paddy was born in Dublin on the 16th day of October 1920, the first child of Thomas and Florence Finucane. He was followed shortly by a brother, Ray, another brother Kevin, and then two sisters, Monica and Claire. He became an all around sportsman, excelling at rugby, football, boxing and rowing. His family immigrated to Richmond, Surrey in England in November of 1936. Having always dreamed about flying through the heavens, Paddy joined the RAF in August 1938 and was posted to 65 Squadron at Hornchurch on July 13th, 1940. In late April 1941, he was posted to 452 Squadron RAAF as Flight Commander. In January 1942, Finucane was given command of 602 Squadron. He was then appointed Wing Commander flying  out of Hornchurch on June 27th, 1942. That meant, at age 21, Paddy was the RAF’s youngest Wing Commander ever.

During the Battle of Britain, Finucane destroyed his first Bf l09 on August 12th, 1940, getting a second a day later. As his victory tally rose, the word of his heroics spread throughout England. On April 15th, 1941, Paddy crossed paths with one of Germany’s highest decorated pilot’s in history, Oberstleutnant Adolf Galland. Commanding JG 26, Galland decided to join a birthday celebration for General Theo Osterkamp and personally deliver some lobsters and oysters for his party. Galland’s crew chief placed the goods in Galland’s new Bf 109F fighter just before takeoff. Galland’s flight plan would take himself and his wingman, from Brest to Le Touquet, France, the site of the party, but en-route to Le Touquet, Galland decided that a detour to England was in order. His hunter instinct paid off near Dover, as they both surprised a large flight of Spitfires on maneuvers. Paddy Finucane was leading that group of Spitfires. Galland’s instincts proved deadly as he managed to down three Spitfire Mk. IIs. As Galland flew through the formation, Paddy rolled out from above and targeted Galland. The hunter became the hunted and Finucane riddled Galland’s aircraft with shells. Galland bailed out of his flaming Bf-109 near the coast of France. He was rescued hours later. Suffice it to say, Galland never made it to Osterkamp’s party as Paddy claimed Galland as a victory.

Said Finucane, “I shoot to hit the machine, not the lad in it. At least, I hold him no grudge, but I have to let him have it. See him first before he sees you, hit him when you fire as you might not have a second chance”.

The only time Paddy was wounded in combat came on February of 1942. Paddy went out over Dunkirk in a daylight sweep with his squadron. After an hour of dodging and dog fighting in the clouds over the French coast, a German gunner put a shell through the cockpit of the Flying Shamrock. A sharp piece of shattered plate ripped Paddy’s thigh from knee to hip. As he put it later, “The cockpit was awash with blood. It was not until I was feeling a bit sick and dizzy did it dawn on me that it was my blood!…Good Dublin blood should not be wasted…How I even managed to land without a crackup will never be known, luck of the Irish triumphed that day if ever”. Five weeks later and mended, the British headlines read, “Finucane Flies Again!” Model airplanes of his Spitfire with the vivid green Shamrocks were sold all along Piccadilly Circus and The Strand. Small boys robbed their Mother’s purses in haste in order to own one. These were treasured reminders that the greatest flying Ace was again winging his way across the murky channel to protect England. Even the German pilots were aware as word spread to, “Get Finucane of the Shamrock.”

The photo is of Keith “Bluey” Truscott, Raymond Thorald-Smith and Paddy Finucane when they were with b452 Squadron

After attacking German shipping at Ostend and strafing three German airfields on July 15th, 1942, Finucane’s wing regrouped to return to Hornchurch. As the group passed low-level over the beach at Pointe Du Touquet, Finucane’s Spitfire was hit by machine gun fire that severely damaged his radiator. The engine overheated and quit, and the Spitfire was too low to allow Finucane to bail out. Losing altitude swiftly, Paddy was heard to say, “This is it, Chaps.” Witnesses reported that after a near perfect splash down, the Shamrock Spitfire sank like a stone, and despite all efforts, was never to be seen again. At the time of his death, Wing Commander Finucane’s score stood at an amazing 32 victories.

Other information we have on Paddy, coutesy of www.rafhornchurch is that Paddy’s first aerial victory was made during the Battle of Britain, when on the 12th August 1940 he shot down a Messerschmitt Bf 109, this being the first of his 26 confirmed victories. Further victories followed before 65 Squadron was withdrawn from the battle to recuperate its losses.

In April 1941, Finucane was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and was posted as a Flight Commander with 452 Squadron, the first operational Royal Australian Air Force Squadron to serve with the RAF’s Fighter Command. 452 Squadron commenced offensive operations in July 1941 over occupied Europe and Finucane soon added another 17 enemy planes shot down to his bag.

In January 1942, Finucane was promoted to Squadron Leader and was given command of 602 Squadron. While leading 602 Squadron he was injured by ground fire but also bagged four of the Luftwaffe’s new Focke Wulf 190 fighters.

On 27th June 1942, aged only 21 he became the RAF’s youngest ever Wing Commander and took command of the legendary Spitfire Wing based at RAF Hornchurch. Finucane’s tenure in command did not last long, for on 15th July 1942, while conducting an offensive sweep near Boulogne his Spitfire was hit by ground fire. Finucane coaxed his damaged plane back towards England but was finally forced to ditch. Unfortunately his Spitfire immediately sank on hitting the channel so bringing to an end Finucane’s short life and meteoric career.

The Spitfire Association